Comments Off on Fourth in the Park Celebration
The city of Marietta’s Fourth in the Park celebration begins Thursday, July 4, 2013 at 10 a.m. and includes a parade, free live concerts, museum tours, arts and crafts show, food, carnival games and fireworks finale.
The Marietta Freedom Parade includes 110 entries, 2,000 participants and an estimated 30,000 spectators. The parade begins at 10 a.m. at Roswell Street Baptist Church and travels west on Roswell Street, north on East Park Square past Glover Park and the Square, down Cherokee Street and ends at North Marietta Parkway. Entries include marching units from the city of Marietta, Air National Guard Band of the South, civic organizations, beauty queens, scouts and local businesses.
The end of the parade marks the start of the Festival. Food concessions, arts and crafts and carnival will provide plenty to do for the whole family.
- Marietta Freedom Parade, 10 a.m.
- Festival, 10 a.m. – 9 p.m.
- Scott Thompson concert, 12 p.m.
- Bell Ringing ceremony, 2 p.m.
- Float contest awards, 2:15 p.m.
- Unusual Suspects concert, 7 p.m.
- Greg Bates concert, 8 p.m.
- Fireworks, dark
The Fourth in the Park celebration is coupled with a large arts and crafts show that continues all day.
For more information, call Marietta Parks and Recreation at 770-794-5601 .
Below is a list of “known” dog parks in Cobb County. If you know of any additional dog parks located in Cobb County, please provide their name, directions and a description of the park in the comments section below.
Acworth Dog Parks
- Pitner Road Dog Park. Cobb County Dog Park. The dog park is comprised of two adjoining but separately-fenced play areas for off-leash dogs with approximately 2 acres of space for larger and one acre of space for smaller dogs. The dog lots have both open-space and shady, wooded areas with benched seating for dog owners. Each area has dog water fountains and “poop-mit” stations providing bags for owners to pick up after their pets. A gravel access road and parking lot with 50 parking spaces. A combination picnic shelter and restroom building (presently with four picnic tables) sits on a rise and overlooks the playground and dog lots. A multi-function playground for children ages 2 to 12 is between the picnic shelter and the dog lots and can be easily seen from the seating areas of both locations.
Location: 2450 Pitner Road. Directions: From Cobb Pkwy Northbound. Turn left at Barrett Pkwy NW 1.8 mi. Turn right at Stilesboro Rd NW 6.1 mi. Slight right at Brookstone Dr NW 0.6 mi Turn right at McLain Rd NW 0.2 mi Turn left at Pitner Rd NW 0.4 mi Turn right to stay on Pitner Rd NW 1.2 mi.
Kennesaw Dog Parks
- Frank Boone Dog Park. Located inside of Swift-Cantrell Park. Swift-Cantrell Park’s 1.4 acre off-leash dog park has 6-foot-high perimeter fencing, two separate run areas (for large and small dogs), a watering station, dog wash area, and disposable plastic waste bags and receptacle stations. The dog park is open from sunrise to sunset. Location: 3140 Old 41 Hwy. Directions: (just west of Kennesaw Elementary School)
Marietta Dog Parks
- Lewis Park. Dog Park at the back end of the baseball field. Park Benches, Picnic Tables, Pet Station with Plastic Bags. Location: 475 Campbell Street. Directions: 75 north to exit 267B (the white water exit…i think it’s 120 North) turn left. continue for about 2 miles (crossing over Cobb pkwy). turn right on Cherokee street. make first left onto sessions street. continue past church St. and Campbell hill St. make right on St. josephs way. park is on the right.
- Sweat Mountain Park (East Cobb). 4 acres. Off Leash Dog Park. Marietta, Georgia. Two fenced areas, one for large dogs and one for small dogs. Nice shaded area, fenced, benches, trash cans and doggie bags, water. Location: 4346 Steinhauer Rd. (approximately one mile north of Lassiter High School). Directions: From I-75 (N) & Canton Rd Conn NE, Marietta: Head northeast from Canton Rd Conn NE. Bear right and head toward Sandy Plains Rd NE. Turn left at Trickum Rd NE. Turn right at Shallowford Rd NE. Turn left at Steinhauer Rd NE. Go 1.2 miles and turn right just past short bridge into park entrance. The facility is located at Sweat Mountain Park, which is in northeast Cobb County on Steinhauer Road, approximately one mile north of Lassiter High School.
Smyrna Dog Parks
- Burger Park. Off-Leash park. Small dog area for 30 lbs and smaller and a large dog area. Location: 680 Glendale Place. Directions: Just west of South Cobb Drive and south of Windy Hill Road in Smyrna and is adjacent to Belmont Hills Elementary School. Not sure where there’s parking, except perhaps on weekends at the school.
- Lake Court Park. Just opened, right off S. Cobb Drive in Smyrna City limits. Location: 3500 Lake Drive. Directions: Right off S. Cobb drive near Concord.
Check out our list of North Fulton dog parks.
As a follow-up to a post I wrote about the East Roswell dog park off Fouts Road in Roswell, I decided I’d put this list of “known” dog parks in North Fulton County. If you know of any additional dog parks located in North Fulton County, please provide their name, directions and a description of the park in the comments section below.
Alpharetta Dog Parks
- Newtown Park. Fully fenced enclosure includes separate areas for small and large dogs, viewing area, staging area, and water pump. Location: 3125 Old Alabama Road.
- Waggy World Paw Park. A beautiful 1.5 acre area behind the Alpharetta Community Center at Wills Park. Waggy World Paw Park opened to the public on Monday, September 25, 2006. Paw park amenities include off-leash areas for large pups and small pups, water fountains, and park benches. Location: 175 Roswell Street. Directions: From GA 400: Take Old Milton Pkwy exit towards Alpharetta. Go approximately 2 miles. Wills Park is located on Old Milton Parkway between Roswell Street and Wills Road.
- Wolf Brook. A unique private dog facility – Training, Recreation, Dog Daycare, enclosed clubhouse with full kitchen and bathroom facilities. Location: 13665 New Providence Road.
Atlanta Dog Parks
- Atlantic Station. Little space in the city, Benches for parents. Beautiful view of the city Plenty of light for after dark play. Location: State st, in between 16th and 17th street. Directions: 85 south, go to the 17th street exit, take a right towards Atlantic station, take a left at state st, the park is on the right side.
- Henry Jones Dog Park. Off-leash dog park. Dunwoody/Atlanta area; fully wooded; roughly 4 acres; no water fountain, but a community water bucket provided; excellent volunteer group maintains park. Location: inside Brook Run Park, 4770 N. Peachtree Rd. Directions: approx. 1 mile north of I-285 on N. Peachtree Rd. in the Dunwoody section of Atlanta.
- It is a neighborhood Park. Huge place for dogs to run freely! Atlanta, GA. Has a side for kids to play and a side for the dogs to play! Huge area, can run and run! Location: Coming from Buckhead on Peachtree Street: You will make a right onto Collier Road and is 1 mile down on the Left! Directions: Coming from Buckhead on Peachtree Street Heading to downtown Atlanta. Take a Right onto Collier Rd. and is about 1 mile down on the left side!
- Piedmont Park. Atlanta’s largest dog park, fenced, running water in the city’s largest in town park. Location: Midtown Atlanta bordered by Piedmont Avenue, 10th Street and Monroe Drive. Directions: Intersection of Piedmont Avenue and 10th Street.
Dunwoody Dog Parks
- Brook Run Park. 2+ acre off leash fenced in dog park. Park is wooded, has open areas, walking paths, 4 double gates (one at each corner of the park, dogs and humans are having a great time! Location: 4770 North Peachtree Rd. Directions: From I-285 (eastbound): Take the CHAMBLEE-DUNWOODY RD exit- EXIT 30- toward N SHALLOWFORD RD / N PEACHTREE RD (0.3 mile). Turn SLIGHT LEFT onto SAVOY DR (1.0 mile). Turn LEFT onto N PEACHTREE RD (1.0 mile). From I-285 (westbound): Take the N PEACHTREE RD exit- EXIT 30- toward N SHALLOWFORD RD / CHAMBLEE-DUNWOODY RD (0.2 mile). Turn RIGHT onto N PEACHTREE RD (0.9 mile).
Mountain Park Dog Parks
- Mountain Park Dog Park. Large Fenced-In Dog Park. Two large fenced-in areas next to Leita Thompson Park on HWY 92 at Bowen/Mt. Park Rd. Trails and Lake behind park. Area for small and large dogs. Location: Hwy 92 and Bowen/Mt. Park Rd. Directions: From Sandy Plains Rd. go east on HWY 92. Go about 3 miles. Park is on left before Bowen rd and the Super Target (must make u-turn if coming from this direction).
Roswell Dog Parks
- East Roswell Dog Park. Large Fenced-In Dog Park. Head east on Holcomb Bridge road towards Norcross, turn right at Fouts Road, dog park is on right side of road, about 2-3 driveways in; entrance is a gravel road with no sign.